Middle School States RESULTS
The 2017 Utah Middle School Championship Tournament concluded on Saturday May 6th in Provo, Utah. Lone Peak A once again claimed victory, decisively dismissing all challengers including the talented 2nd place finisher West Krakens. Stunning Rock Canyon, directly east of the fields provided the back drop for a competitive and spirit-filled two days. 10 teams were supported by friends and family who cheered and gradually decoded the rules of Ultimate, many having never seen the sport played at an official event. The final round of games, including the championship match-up, endured 30 minutes of near-30-mile-per-hour winds and rain. Tents, chairs and cones bounced across fields while the young players leaned into the gale, surprised and thrilled with every improbable completed pass. Ultimate’s unique Spirit of the Game, Spirit Award was given by the other teams to the Liberty Park Squirrels of Salt Lake City. The tournament was flawlessly hosted by Utah Ultimate Disc Association, and sanctioned by USA Ultimate.
– Author: John Selfridge
Middle School States Announced
May 5-6, 2017
Friday, 4:00pm-8:00pm and Saturday, 9:00am – 4:00pm
Sertoma Park, Provo – behind Rock Canyon Elementary School and Centennial Middle School
10 coed middle school teams, 5th-8th grades, are registered to compete this coming weekend for Utah’s Middle School State title. The teams are:
Copper Hills Middles (West Jordan)
Jordan Middle Schools (Sandy)
West middle school Krakens (Salt Lake City)
Blue Bobcats (Cache Valley)
White Bobcats (Cache Valley)
Liberty Park Squirrels (Salt Lake City)
Lone Peak Middle (Highland)
Break Force Juniors (Layton)
Open Classroom Penguins (Salt Lake City)
North Star Academy (Bluffdale)
This is a USA Ultimate-sanctioned event.
For teams, schedules, and results please visit: http://play.usaultimate.org/events/2017-Utah-Middle-School-Mixed-State-Championship
2017 Key Dates
March 11 – Lone Peak Middle School Invite – Timberline Middle School
March 23-May 4 – SLCounty Middle School League
- All 10 – 15 yr old at all levels are welcome.
- On the East football field @ Murray Park, 5201 S. Murray Park Lane (160 East), Salt Lake City, UT 84107
- $30, includes a reversible pinnie
- Sign up at www.activityreg.com
- Select Utah < County Sports Office- Salt Lake City County Recreation < Register for Activities < Youth Sports < 2017 Ultimate Frisbee < 2017 Spring Middle School Ultimate Frisbee
- In Comments, mention if you are a parent who would like to help coach.
- We will provide a SL County Head injury concussion form that needs to be signed by the first day.
May 5-6 – UUDA Middle School State Championships – USA Ultimate sanctioned
- Location TBD
- All Players must be USA Ultimate members and rostered on a competing team
- Estimated cost, depending on field location, $100-120/team
Middle school team info here: